The best recipes for pickled tomatoes at home
Pickled tomatoes are very popular in the autumn-winter period. What is the use of these vegetables, how to cook them correctly - we will tell in our article.
Sour tomatoes: benefits and harms
An indisputable fact - the fermentation process, in contrast to salting or preservation using vinegar, is harmless to the body. In addition, fermented or soaked products retain the full amount of vitamins that are destroyed by canning or salting.
Did you know? Sour vegetables help reduce cravings for alcohol and excessive consumption of sweets.
- The usefulness of fermented product is the following properties
- compensates for the deficiency of minerals and vitamins;
- improves the digestive tract;
- lowers blood cholesterol;
- improves the condition of blood vessels;
- strengthens the heart muscle;
- favorably affects the work of the prostate gland;
- reduces the risk of gynecological problems;
- contains lycopene, which inhibits the growth of abnormal cells.
- The harmful properties of the product are manifested in the presence of certain diseases:
- stomach ulcer;
- liver pathology;
- pancreas disease.
How to prepare tomatoes
Tomatoes choose whole, without signs of rot and stains on the skin. It is better to ferment varieties with a dense peel, since they do not fall apart so much. The fruits are washed, the stalk is removed, small ones are laid aside. So that the fruits are better saturated with brine, they are pierced with a toothpick.
How to ferment tomatoes at home
There are many recipes for sourdough for the winter: in different dishes, with various spices and vegetables. Next, consider the most popular methods of pickling tomatoes.
Video: pickled tomatoes like barrel
The classic recipe for pickling involves one main ingredient - tomatoes. Spices added as additional ingredients can be selected according to the tastes of the hostess. The fermentation process is due to brine.
Components for a three-liter capacity:
- tomatoes - 1.5 kg;
- horseradish - 2 sheets;
- cherry - 5 sheets;
- bay leaf - 2-3 pcs.;
- currant - 5 sheets;
- garlic - 5 teeth;
- dill - 2 umbrellas;
- black pepper - 6 peas;
- sugar - 1 tbsp. l .;
- salt - 3 tbsp. l
Fermentation technology in the bank:
- From 2 liters of water, sugar and salt, boil the brine, cool.
- Place leaves, garlic and spices on the bottom of the bowl.
- Place the vegetables with the stalk up.
- Pour in cold brine.
- The jar needs to be placed open in a bowl with wide edges, during the fermentation process, the brine can drain on the sides of the container.
- After a day, close the capron lid and put it in a cold place.
In the pan
This is a quick recipe for those who do not want to wait for winter to enjoy a snack. Essential Ingredients:
- main vegetables - 2.5 kg;
- cherry leaves - 8-10 pcs.;
- black pepper - 8 peas;
- allspice - 8 peas;
- dill - 3 umbrellas;
- bay leaf - 10 pcs.;
- salt - 3 tbsp. l .;
- water - 3 l.
- At the bottom of a clean pan spread all the spices in the recipe.
- Top put the tomatoes.
- Dissolve the salt in cold water and pour it into the pan.
- Top need to be pressed down and left in the room.
- After a week, the finished dish is cleaned in a cold place.
In a plastic bucket
If you have a basement, you can make a blank for the winter in a large container, for example, in a 10-liter plastic bucket. To do this, you will need:
- tomatoes - 8 kg;
- garlic - 2 heads;
- hot pepper - 2 pods;
- horseradish - 10 leaves;
- currant - 8 leaves;
- bay leaf - 8 pcs.;
- black pepper - 20 peas;
- allspice - 10 peas;
- salt - 200 g;
- sugar - 100 g;
- water - 5 l.
Important! Given the duration of pickling with this method, the fabric should be changed regularly.
- Garlic is cut in thick plates.
- Vegetables and spices stack, alternating layers.
- Separately, brine is boiled from water, sugar and salt.
- Before pouring the brine into the bucket, it must be cooled.
- Cover the container on top with a clean cloth, place the load.
- The product is fermented for about a month in room conditions, then it is taken out in a cold place.
Video: barrel tomatoes
The product, fermented in a dry way, cooks quickly and turns out tasty, but loses a presentable appearance. For cooking in a three-liter pan you will need:
- tomatoes - 1.8 kg;
- currant and cherry leaves - 8 pcs.;
- horseradish - 4 sheets;
- dill - 3 umbrellas;
- salt - 1 kg.
- Leaves are placed at the bottom of the pan, leaving 2 sheets of horseradish.
- Tomatoes are laid tightly on top, which are sprinkled with salt.
- The workpiece is covered with the remaining leaves of horseradish.
- For a day under oppression, the pan is left in room conditions. Then take out in a cold place.
When choosing cabbage, give preference to densely packed heads of cabbage. Ingredients for cooking:
- cabbage - 10 kg;
- tomatoes - 5 kg;
- currant leaves - 6 pcs.;
- cherry leaves - 6 pcs.;
- celery - a bunch of leaves;
- dill - a pinch of seeds;
- black pepper - 6 peas;
- salt - 300 g.
Important! Cabbage should highlight its juice, but if it is not enough, you need to add brine: 1 liter of water / 50 g of salt / 200 g of sugar.
- Chop cabbage, leave the tomatoes whole.
- Lay all ingredients, including spices, in a clean jar.
- Tomatoes stack the stalk up.
- The last layer put cabbage.
- The cans are covered with a clean cloth. Above put oppression.
- For 10 days, the container is kept at room temperature, then taken out to the basement or put in the refrigerator.
This dish is for savory lovers. The sharpness can be reduced by reducing the indicated rate of mustard. Necessary components for a three-liter jar:
- tomatoes - how much will go in;
- mustard - 2 tbsp. l .;
- salt - 2 tbsp. l .;
- sugar - 2 tbsp. l .;
- garlic - 3 prongs;
- horseradish - 1 sheet to the bottom;
- currant / cherry leaves - 2-3 pcs.;
- dill - 1 umbrella.
Did you know? In 2010, a tomato museum was opened in the Italian city of Collecchio.
- At the bottom of the can, leaves, dill, crushed cloves of garlic are laid.
- Then put the tomatoes on the "shoulders" of the container.
- Mustard, salt and sugar are poured on top.
- Pour everything with cold water.
- Close the capron cap and shake well.
- The container is warm for 3 days, then cleaned in a cold place.
Video: recipe for salting red tomatoes with dry mustard for the winter
With bell pepper
Bell pepper will enrich the dish with ascorbic acid, which will make it even more useful. Recipe Components:
- tomatoes - 2 kg;
- bell pepper - 0.5 kg;
- horseradish and bay leaf - 2 pcs.;
- garlic - 6 teeth;
- salt - 3 tbsp. l .;
- water - 2 l.
- Break horseradish leaves or tear them to pieces.
- Cut pepper into large slices.
- Lay all components in a clean, enameled pan.
- In a separate bowl, make a pickle and pour hot into the pickle.
- Cover the top with a clean cloth, put oppression on top.
Sour product does not have long shelf life. In the refrigerator, it retains freshness for a maximum of four months. In the cellar in banks or plastic buckets, the fruits are stored for up to five months. A barrel product is stored in a basement or cellar; the period should not exceed 8 months.
What can be cooked from pickled tomatoes
Pickled fruits are often used as an auxiliary component to various dishes. Their sweet and sour taste perfectly complements:
- meat sauce;
- various sauces;
- open pies.
Useful cooking tips
Tomatoes can be called a universal product, since you can combine it with a large number of vegetables and spices. There are several subtleties in the preparation of pickled product:
- Perfect option: cook an appetizer in an oak barrel. The container is pre-soaked for 2-3 days, so that possible cracks are closed from the swelling of the wood.
- In whatever container the product is prepared, it is necessary rinse with sodaShe will destroy all bacteria.
- It is advisable to take ripe fruits: they have the optimal amount of sugar needed to isolate lactic acid. Sugar is added to the green fruit.
- The optimum temperature for the fermentation process is + 15–22 ° С. At a higher temperature, in addition to the microorganisms necessary for the process, bacteria of butyric acid can multiply, which will add bitterness to the product.
- When mold appears on the surface, it must be removed, then prepare a new brine for pouring, and drain the old one.
A pickled appetizer is a healthy vitamin dish. A tomato prepared in this way preserves and enhances the action of the beneficial components of its composition. The main thing during cooking is to observe the cleanliness of dishes and the recipe of the dish.