How to make a mother liquor for rabbits with your own hands
When breeding rabbits, it is very important to keep offspring. Therefore, it is necessary to ensure proper conditions for the reproduction and development of animals, including making a mother liquor. The rules of its arrangement and the method of manufacturing with their own hands will be discussed in the article.
What is a mother liquor?
The mother-child is the place where the female gives birth to her offspring and feeds him, i.e. this is a kind of nest. It is installed in the cage, regardless of what time of year the rabbit should bring offspring. In the mother liquor, the female will feel safe, and nothing will distract her. In addition, in the nest, the kids will be protected from drafts and temperature extremes.
Basic requirements for mother liquor for rabbits
In order to properly equip the mother liquor, one must take into account that it must meet the following requirements:
- protected rabbits from drafts and dangers;
- It was made of non-toxic materials and assembled neatly;
- It was durable (difficult to gnaw and break);
- dimensions correspond to the breed of the bred animal;
- the inlet hole is not very large and not too small;
- the design is such that it is easy to clean the nest.
Did you know? The New Zealand white breed of rabbits is considered the fastest growing. Their cubs at the age of 8 weeks already have a weight of 2 kg. Others weigh an average of 1.4–1.6 kg.
Types and sizes of construction
The standard size for cells with queen cells should be: 120 × 60 × 70 cm. Schematically, it looks like this:
Double option for two rabbits with offspring or for rabbits and rabbits:
Industrial cages have a modular design, which makes them mobile. Such a cage takes into account the stages of breeding rabbits, therefore, they provide for the addition of compartments. Their sizes are as follows: 200 × 200 × 100 × 700 cm. 10 uterine departments (40 × 92 cm) are equipped for them.
The standard sizes of the mother liquor: 40 × 40 × 20 cm. But not all rabbits are able to fit in such a nest. For large breeds, there are such standards for the size of the uterine cell:
- flanders: 90 × 75 × 40 cm, d = 20 cm (manhole);
- Californians: 60 × 40 × 40 cm, d = 15 cm;
- giants: 95 × 80 × 50 cm, d = 18 cm;
- others: 56 × 30 × 30 cm, d = 15 cm.
According to the Maklyakov system, different cell models with mother liquors are offered, differing in their external design:
- base model;
- 2-sided model;
- traditional model.
All models have the same dimensions:
- 920 × 1560 × 1525 mm (W × D × H);
- with attachments - 1250 × 1560 mm (W × D);
- area - 2.4 m² (2 upper compartments - 0.62 m², 2 lower compartments - 0, 58 m² each; useful area of the cage);
- maternity wards - 2 pcs.;
- capacity - up to a maximum of 40 individuals;
- number of compartments - 4 pcs.
For the given mini-farms, the sizes of the mother liquor are standard:
- front wall - 0.5 × 0.53 m;
- inlet - 0.35 × 0.16 m;
- side wall - 0.4-0.45 × 0.3 m;
- bottom - 0.3 × 0.47 m;
- door and cover - 0.53 × 0.3 m.
Did you know? Rabbits are capable of making sounds like purrs. This sound comes from the fact that they simply grit your teeth.
Nesting sizes for such a mother liquor:
- side length - 460 mm;
- width of front, back walls and cover - 270 mm;
- front wall height - 150 mm;
- bottom - 10 × 265 × 435 mm;
- logs for the bottom (2 pcs., in front raised 40 mm from the floor) - 20 × 20 × 435 mm;
- plywood on the side walls of 4, everything else 10.
How to make a mother doll for a rabbit yourself
Before proceeding with the construction of the mother liquor, it is necessary to carry out a design drawing and, in accordance with it, prepare the material (products from chipboard or plywood are considered the best) and the necessary tools.
Video: do-it-yourself queen
Necessary tools and materials for work
For work you will need:
- 2 sheets of plywood 152 × 77 cm;
- right angle clamp;
- screws or screws;
- m-feather on wood 16th;
- pencil for marking;
- hinged hinges for a door;
- door handle;
- a nail for fixing the door;
- blowtorch for finishing construction.
Step-by-step manufacturing instructions
We begin to manufacture the mother liquor:
- Mark and cut the plywood sheet according to your drawing. You should have two identical rectangles on the floor and ceiling, on the front and back walls and on the sidewalls.
- Draw a circle on the side rectangle, the size of the hole.
- Take the rectangles corresponding to the floor and the front wall, align them at right angles. Fix one corner with a clamp. Line up.
- Drill a hole near the clamp, and screw in a screw or self-tapping screw. Move the clamp to a different angle, fit the remaining parts, drill a hole again and tighten the screw / screw. Screw another screw / screw in the center.
- Similarly, we collect all the other parts of the nest.
- Insert the m-pen into the drill and drill a hole on the circle line of the hole. Use a jigsaw to cut out a circle.
- Remove the wall of the slot on which you planned to make the door.
- Mark the door and saw it out with a jigsaw. Attach the resulting rectangle to the main one using the door hinges. Attach the handle.
- On the ceiling, fasten a small bar for the door. To prevent the door from opening, fix it with a nail bent at a right angle.
- Under the hole, attach a small shelf on which the rabbit will stand, climbing and climbing out of the nest. Such a shelf will not allow the rabbit to trample the kids.
Important! At the end of the work, treat all joints and surfaces with a blowtorch in order to remove the burrs that formed after cutting the tree.
How to insulate mother liquor for rabbits?
In order for offspring to grow up healthy and strong, it is important to make housing as comfortable as possible. To do this, it is recommended to make the mother liquor warm. It can be insulated with a film or oilcloth intended for outdoor use. They will tighten all the cracks, creating a certain microclimate inside. For the winter period, you can insulate the walls of the structure with thick cardboard or heat-reflecting film. The cage located on the street, in addition to being sheathed with insulation, is also sprinkled with snow to better maintain the temperature.Some rabbit breeders prefer to build heated nests. As heating elements use electric heaters made of flat heating pads. They are protected by an additional bottom. For winter, this is ideal. Who can afford a little more waste for maintenance, equips the cell with an infrared floor. It allows you to adjust the temperature in accordance with the temperature regime of the environment.
Some useful tips for the manufacture and arrangement of the mother liquor:
- You can not make a door to inspect the nest, but attach a roof to the hinges. It is more convenient to inspect and clean the structure.
- For the design to last as long as possible, its bottom should be beaten with a sheet of galvanized iron. This will prevent rot.
- If the female is pregnant for the first time, then it is best to line the floor of the nest with straw, because by inexperience she can forget about it.
- To create comfort in the nest, you can put cotton.
- It is not recommended to make a hole at a high altitude, as grown-up and fully-fledged rabbits will not be able to leave the mother queen to cope with their needs.
- Clean and disinfect regularly.
- Do not insulate the walls of the structure with glass wool, as even through the smallest gap it can penetrate inside and harm the rabbits.
- Straw is also not the best option for insulation due to fragility.
Important! It is impossible to use coniferous breeds of trees for the manufacture of the mother liquor, since females really dislike their smell.
Drawings of the mother liquor
We offer several options for drawings of the mother liquor. According to this scheme, you can perform a drawing for any socket size, substituting the necessary data instead of these numbers.The uterine is an important element of the cell in which the pregnant female lives. In it, the rabbit can hide and calmly give birth and raise offspring. Having learned all the necessary nuances, it can be made independently.